MESSAGE FROM THE SECTION CHIEFS
The Division of Hematology and Hematological Malignancies within the Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, provides comprehensive academic and clinical consultative services at all Alberta Health Services (AHS) hospitals as well as the Tom Baker Cancer Centre (TBCC).
Section members have active inpatient services and outpatient ambulatory clinics for hematology at the Foothills Medical Centre (FMC) and the Peter Lougheed Centre (PLC). Outpatient services will be available at the South Health Campus (SHC) starting January 2013. Hematology consultations are also performed at the Rockyview General Hospital (RGH).
The sectional administrative structure bridges the Calgary hospitals as well as the TBCC, involving the Benign and Malignant Hematology Programs as well as the Bone Marrow Transplant Program.
Dr. Douglas Stewart leads the Provincial Hematology Tumor Team. The Calgary Zone Hematology Section Chief for AHS and the Hematology/BMT Section Head for TBCC is Dr. Douglas Stewart. The leader of the TBCC Hematology Tumor Group is Dr. Peter Duggan. Dr. Andrew Daly is the Director of the Alberta Bone Marrow Transplant Program. Dr. Man-Chiu Poon is the leader of the Southern Alberta Rare Blood and Bleeding Disorders Program.
The Section has a thriving PGME program led by Dr. Michelle Geddes. In addition to the Residency Training Program, there are fellowship programs in Lymphoma, Bone Marrow Transplant, and Hemostasis. Section members are involved in clinical trials at the TBCC and translational research located in laboratories at the Heritage Medical Research Building. Studies are ongoing in the areas of lymphoma, leukemia, myeloma, bone marrow transplant, and rare blood and bleeding disorders.
The Division is made up of twenty-three physicians located at the FMC, PLC and TBCC. Eleven of these physicians are part of the Bone Marrow Transplant Program and are very involved in the clinical, research and educational aspects of this area. Five other physicians have practices focused in benign hematology, including Rare Blood and Bleeding Disorders and Thrombosis. Those treating malignant disease have clinics at the TBCC, UCMC and the PLC. Many of these physicians include general hematology in their practice.
- Canadian Hematology Society: http://www.canadianhematologysociety.org
- American Society of Hematology: http://www.hematology.org/
- International Society of Hematology: http://www.ishworld.org/
- Canadian Blood Services: www.bloodservices.ca
- NIH (benign and malignant): http://health.nih.gov/category/BloodLymphaticSystem
- Canadian Cancer Society: www.cancer.ca
- Alberta Cancer Foundation: http://albertacancer.ca/page.aspx?pid=644
- Alberta Cancer Board: http://www.cancerboard.ab.ca/
- National Cancer Institute of Canada: http://www.ncic.cancer.ca
- Clinical Trials (PDQ®)- National Cancer Institute: http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials
- National Cancer Institute of Canada, Clinical Trials Listings: www.clinicaltrialssearch.org/national_cancer_institute_of_canada_clinical_trials.html
- American Society of Clinical Oncology: http://www.asco.org
- Leukemia and Lymphoma society: www.leukemia-lymphoma.org
- Lymphoma Foundation Canada: http://www.lymphoma.ca/
- Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation MMRF: http://www.multiplemyeloma.org
- International Myeloma Foundation: http://myeloma.org/
- Myeloma Canada: http://www.myelomacanada.ca
- Canadian Blood and Marrow Transplant Group (CBMTG): http://www.cbmtg.org/
- American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplant: http://www.asbmt.org/
- Thalassemia Foundation of Canada: www.thalassemia.ca
- Cooley’s Anemia Foundation: www.thalassemia.org
- Northern California Comprehensive Thalassemia Center: www.thalassemia.com
- National Institute of Health (NHLBI): http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Thalassemia/Thalassemia_WhatIs.html
BLEEDING AND THROMBOSIS DISORDERS
- Canadian Hemophilia Society : www.hemophilia.ca
- International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis: http://www.med.unc.edu/isth/
- World Federation of Hemophilia: www.wfh.org
- Association of Hemophilia Clinic Directors of Canada: http://www.ahcdc.ca
APLASTIC ANEMIA AND MYELODYSPLASIA
- Aplastic Anemia and Myelodysplasia Association of Canada: www.aamac.ca
- Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation, Inc.: http://www.aamds.org/aplastic/
- Alberta Health and Wellness: http://www.health.alberta.ca
Michelle Hubbs-Felder, Administrative Assistant to:
Dr. Andrew Daly, Zone Clinical Section Chief,
Section of Hematology
Foothills Medical Centre
Rm C210, Main Building 1403 – 29 Street NW
Calgary, AB, T2N 2T9