INTRODUCTION AND MESSAGE FROM LEADERSHIP
Physicians are facing unprecedented change given the current state of affairs and the COVID-19 pandemic. Change and uncertainty are shown to contribute to stress and many physicians may be feeling anxious, overwhelmed, and worried during these challenging times. With this in mind, we will keep this page updated with various resources that may be of use in maintaining your wellness and in directing you to resources for seeking support. The page includes information on:
- Formal Mental Health and Psychological Support Resources
- Physician-to-Physician Peer Support Resources
- Education Resources
FORMAL MENTAL HEALTH AND PSYCHOLOGICAL SUPPORT RESOURCES
- Physician and Family Support Program – the Alberta Medical Association’s official provincial physician health program
- AHS Mental Health Resources – AHS mental health resources available to all Albertans
- Canadian Psychological Association – free services with psychologists committed to supporting front line health care providers during COVID-19
- AHS Resource Package – a list of Calgary Zone AHS services available during COVID-19
- Compilation of Provincial Physician Wellness Resources – a province-wide list of resources available to physicians and their families
PHYSICIAN-TO-PHYSICIAN PEER SUPPORT RESOURCES
- Provincial ZOOM Meeting Room with Dr. Debrah Wirtzfeld – community of practice to discuss wellness challenges during the pandemic hosted weekly Tuesdays @ 5-6 p.m. MT. Click here to register.
WELL DOC ALBERTA EDUCATION RESOURCES
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Well Doc Alberta is committed to providing education resources to support physician wellness, available on their website.
Education Bulletins – evidence-informed education and tips
- Physician Wellness During COVID-19: The Basics
- Helping Each Other Through the Pandemic: Providing Informal Physician-to-Physician Peer Support
- Mindfulness for Physicians During COVID-19
- Grieving the Loss of Normalcy During the Pandemic
- Sleep Strategies: Helping Physicians Through COVID-19
- Civility and Respect: How We Can Be at Our Best During the Pandemic and Beyond
Podcasts – evidence-based discussions with content experts
- Self-Awareness: More Important Than Ever
- Empathy and Compassion: Offering What We Can During COVID-19
- Staying Connected: Emotional Connection Amidst Physical Distancing
Webinars – expert taught webinars to enhance awareness and promote self-reflection
- Parenting as a Physician during COVID-19: Unique Challenges and Strategies
- Physician Wellness: Feeling Distress, Understanding Loss and Finding Meaning
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: A Test of System-Level Physician Wellness
ALBERTA HEALTH SERVICES
Watch your email for the CMO COVID-19 Daily Update for AHS Medical Staff bulletin. Additional physician wellness resources are also available on the Physician Diversity, Wellness and Leadership Development website.
Podcasts – updates and information to physicians during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Resilience Podcast
- Social Isolation and Social Media
- We’re Here to Support You, But What Does Support Look Like?
Bulletins – short information sheets on various topics for healthcare providers
- COVID-19 and Stigma
- Mobile Tools to Promote Mental Wellness
- We are Here to Support You, but What Does Support Look Like?
- Focusing on What You Can Control
- Wellness in Transition from Work to Home
- Supporting Team Members with COVID-19 Related Losses
- Tips to Reduce Stressors Associated with Virtual Encounters
- Physicians Experiencing Intimate Partner Violence
CANADIAN SOCIETY OF PHYSICIAN LEADERS
The CSPL is committed to providing short and practical resources for leading during the COVID 19 pandemic, available on their website.
Bulletins – evidence-informed education and tips
- Ensuring Our Own Wellbeing as We Care for Others During the COVID-19 Crisis
- Leadership Agility in Chaotic Systems
- COVID-19 Cannot Take Away our Freedom to Choose
- Control and Influence, Let Go of the Rest
- Top Up Your Tank
- Narrative Influences Change: The COVID-19 Experience
- Self-Compassion: Cultivating Physician Resilience During the Pandemic
- Preventing and Managing Fear
- Personality Styles Under Stress: Leading Through the Crisis
- Anger in the Time of COVID-19
- Mindfulness-Based Approaches to Reduce Stress and Burnout
- Agile, Servant, and Compassionate Leadership: Antidotes to Perfectionism during Uncertainty
Podcasts – short episodes with Canadian leaders about how to lead during the pandemic, available on their website.
Joule has developed a COVID-19 learning series intended to provide expert support and guidance to help physicians and medical learners cope during this challenging time.
Webinars: Online learning opportunities with experts in the field, available on their website.
Blog Posts: Short articles on various wellness topics, available on their website.
- How to Talk to Your Kids About COVID-19: Considerations for Health Care Providers
- A Clinician’s Guide: Managing COVID-19 Stress and Anxiety
- How Leaders Can Support Team Resilience in a Pandemic
- “Talk to Your Fears”: Strategies to Manage Stress During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Running on Empty: How to Fuel Your Body and Mind for Challenging Times
- The Walking Wounded: Supporting Physician After the COVID-19 Crisis
- How to Build Resilience in Uncertain Times
- For Physician Parents: Helping Children Understand Risks and Reduce Fears
- “We are Really Anxious”: How Virtual Peer Networks Provide a Safe Space for Physicians During COVID-19
- Moral Distress and COVID-19: How to Recognize and Cope with It
- A Clinician’s Guide: How to Manage Morally Distressing Situations
- Preparing for the Unknown: Mental Readiness Lessons from the Military
- How to Lead with Compassion in Times of Crisis
- On Wellness in Medicine: Physician Says Times Have Changed, but Stigma Still Exists
- Taking Stock During Times of High Stress: Risk Factors and Red Flags
- Resources for children of physicians. A resource from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.