On behalf of the Department of Medicine, please let us welcome you to the Department and the University of Calgary. Navigating the processes and systems required to get you up and running in your new position can be complex so the role of the physician recruitment coordinator is to facilitate that process for you. The Coordinator will be working closely with you to ensure that you are set up and ready in time for your start date and will be your primary contact person through this process.
Please follow the instructions in this reference guide to set up your Medical Staff Appointment, University of Calgary Clinical Appointment, Alberta Health Services Vendor ID, Alberta Health New Practitioner Registration, University of Calgary Medical Group Membership, as well as other important steps vital to your recruitment.
Please read through the guide below before completing any forms, these should be sent directly to Sandy Hafez. If you have any questions as you go through this guide, please do not hesitate to contact me.
A Medical Staff Appointment outlines the Practitioner’s rights and responsibilities associated with their appointment, it grants you Clinical Privileges and access to AHS facilities. Clinical Privileges are procedures that may be performed by a Practitioner; Sites of Clinical Activity in which a Practitioner may perform Procedures or provide care to Patients; and the AHS Programs and Professional Services that are available to a Practitioner in order to provide care to Patients.
Please send the following information to email@example.com
- Full name – last, first, middle
- Date of birth
- Your current home address, phone & cell
- Your current office address, pager, phone, fax
- Calgary address, phone & cell (if available)
- Personal email address
Upon receipt of the above information, Sandy will initiate correspondence with the Medical Staff Office (MSO). Expect to receive an MSA application package from the MSO shortly afterwards. You will be expected to complete the following items, in anticipation of this package we recommend reviewing the items below:
- Register for College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta (CPSA) Practice Permit - Reference
- Apply with Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) - Reference
- Complete Information Privacy & IT Security Training - Reference
- You will be expected to complete an Alberta Health Services Security Check - Reference. However do not apply until the MSO requests it as it is only valid for 90 days.
You will be asked to select procedure privileges based on your specialty, please review the suggested procedures below to make your selections. If you would like to select a non-standard procedure, please discuss with your Section Chief. Please note: These forms are not fill-able, please print to complete.
- General Internal Medicine
- Geriatric Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Respiratory Medicine
* If your Section is not listed, the form is being developed and will be available soon.
When your documents have been received the Medical Staff Office (MSO) will send you an Appointment Offer Letter (AOL). Upon signing your AOL you have agreed to be governed by both the AHS Bylaws and AHS Rules which can be found on http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/medstaff/Page7086.aspx
Following this, the MSO will release an MSA memo confirming that Medical Affairs has verified your credentials and recognizes your clinical privileges as detailed in the document.
A Practitioner may be appointed to more than one Zone Clinical Department (within one or more Zones) but one department must be designated as the Primary Zone Clinical Department.
A Supplementary Appointment is granted to establish a relationship, and the details of the relationship, between a practitioner and a Department & Section outside of the Primary Appointment. The Supplementary Appointment will identify the Supplementary Department and Section, if applicable, will include all clinical privileges required for the role, as a standalone appointment. For example, if FMC is granted as a site on the Primary Appointment, it is not, and should be considered, a site on the Supplementary Appointment, rather it should be identified on the Supplementary Appointment along with the approved procedures, and include any applicable term if one exists. If there is an end date on a Practitioners Medical Staff and/or U of C appointment(s) it is strongly recommended for this to match the Supplementary Appointment end/renewal date.
In the Calgary Zone, some facilities are governed by Departments that mandate a Supplementary Appointment be in place before the practitioner is granted access to the site. This is true for Oncology who oversees the Tom Backer Cancer Centre, and the Pediatrics which oversees the Alberta Children’s Hospital. Any practitioner requesting privileges at these facilities should arrange a Supplementary Appointment with the respective Department.
The following is needed if a supplementary appointment is added to an existing appointment:
- Approval from the Head in the Department adding the Supplementary Appointment, including procedures that need to be added
- Consent from Practitioner is required if any changes are made
Courtesy Supplementary Appointment
Departments are discipline based with the exception of Rural Medicine where practitioners form any discipline may provide services. When a Specialist requests privileges that must be arranged through Rural Medicine as the Primary Appointment, we strongly recommend that a courtesy Supplementary Appointment (excluding any clinical privileges) be established with their respective Specialty Department for review and recommendations that the practitioner is deemed competent for the requested privileges.
If you have any questions about Supplementary Appointments, please contact Sandy Hafez at 403-944-2276 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department of Medicine (DOM) Medical Staff are required to hold a University of Calgary Clinical Appointment if they participate in the following activities:
- Clinical work with learners
Clinical appointments may be made for periods of twelve months up to five years. The University rank and years will be determined by the Department Head for individuals who do not currently hold a Continuing, Contingent Term or Limited Term appointment.
The DOM requires a copy of your most recent CV in UofC format.
The DoM will ask your referees to provide a letter a reference commenting on how they would rate your expertise in your field, ability to meet deadlines, teaching abilities, communication skills, initiative/ problem-solving skills, leadership abilities, and other relevant information. Your referees must be prepared to submit this letter within 30 days of the DoM’s request.
Please send the following information to email@example.com
- Name of the referee
- University rank
- Name of University
- Email address
Clinical/Adjunct Personal Information Form
- Complete the Clinical/Adjunct Personal Information form
- Send to Chris Jappert, Finance and Contract Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
A joint appointment is granted if a Practitioner will be contributing to a specific department academically. They allow for practitioners to participate in the Department’s academic activities, apply for funding and supervise graduate students within those Departments. Joint appointments can also be offered to academics outside the Cumming School of Medicine who are fully involved in the Department. Creating a Joint Appointment helps account for FTE appropriately within each Department.
The following is required for a Joint Appointment:
- The Primary Department Head will need to approve of the joint appointment
- If an existing joint appointment(s) exists the Department Head(s) will also need to support this
- After this approval is granted an offer of appointment will be created
Joint appointments will be aligned with the end date of the Practitioners current appointment.
Joint appointments result in full involvement of the Department Heads in all academic processes, including merit, tenure and promotion. This should be considered when deciding between offering a Joint or Adjunct appointment to those outside of the School.
Usually for scientist, PhDs or individuals who are leaving Calgary temporarily and who wish to keep their status. This allows individuals to gain or retain access so that they can participate in the Departments’ academic activities. An Adjunct will give the individual access to email, grants, eFin, projects, payments, etc. Adjunct appointments can also be offered to academics outside of the Cumming School of Medicine.
These individuals require minimal association with the U of C as research collaborators or occasional lecturers. An adjunct allows them to apply for independent research funds. They do not require AHS privileges and they cannot be UCMG members.
If you have any questions about Joint or Adjunct Appointments, please contact Chris Jappert at 403-944-4910 or by email at email@example.com
A vendor ID is required in order for you to receive payments from AHS such as call stipends. Upon release of your MSA memo, Sandy will submit the required documents.
Please complete the following:
- Medical Affairs Vendor Change Request form
- Include a void cheque
All physician membership of the DOM must be members of the UCMG. The UCMG agency agreement can be found here, the UCMG Clinical Practice Levy at a Glance is also available. You will be required to added to the UCMG business arrangement number.*
*A business arrangement is an agreement for the payment of health services provided. All practitioner registered with Alberta Health and Wellness must have or be part of a business arrangement in order to claim for services.
UCMG provides you with the following Operational Services:
- Clerical, Nursing, Chart Handling/EMR
- Janitorial, Clinic Space, Procedures, Lab/Diagnostics
- Clinical supplies, HVAC, Housekeeping, Security, General Maintenance
- Shared administrative support, Office or touchdown space
- AHS intranet/internal information technologies and systems, UCMG & AHS Transcription, Billing clerk, Sabbatical credits
Pagers are not included* – physicians are required to purchase a pager to maintain their independent contractor status. Pagers are $250.00 and can be picked up from Sandy's office (Room 924, North Tower, FMC) prior to your start date. Unfortunately, the DoM can only accept cheques at this time. Please make cheque payable to: Alberta Health Services. A receipt will be issued.
*Locum physicians are not required to purchase their own pagers, pagers will be provided by their Section and shall be returned at the end of their term.
If you already have a Prac ID, complete this form to be added:
- Select 'Add me to the Business Arrangement'
- Leave 'Business Arrangement Number' blank
- Effective date is your start date, leave blank if unknown
- If you have a current BA number, select 'End my relationship with the BA' and enter corresponding number
- Effective end date is the day before your start date, leave blank if unknown
- 'BA contract holder name' is University of Calgary
- 'Practitioner name' is your name
- Ensure you include your Prac ID
- Enter your Section in the 'Indicate the skill that will be used on most claims' space
- Under 'Section B' sign on 'Practitioner Signature'
Fee for Service Physicians
Physician pays 14 -18% of their total billings to UCMG (approximately $45k to a maximum of $96K)
Please complete the following forms and include void cheque:
- Oath of Confidentiality
- Schedule "D" UCMG Physician Participation Agreement
- Schedule "D" Physician Participation Agreement to Alberta Health Services (AHS) and to Alberta Medical Association (AMA)
- Appendix II: Member Admission Application
- UCMG Transcription Services
- UCMG Member Information form
- Statement of account
Please complete the following forms:
All practicing physicians require a Practitioner Identification Number also known as a Prac ID. Alberta Health registers practitioners for a claim payment or patient referral purposes.
Please see below for instructions on how to complete the required Practitioner Information form (AHC0912).
- Complete sections A, B, D, H, F
- Completing Section F:
- Effective date is your start date – please leave this blank if you are unsure of the exact start date
- Leave "I will be joining BA number" blank as UCMG has a BA number that Sandy will fill in
- Send Sandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) a copy of your CPSA License (practice permit), Registration & Understanding Agreement Letter (RUA) and Specialty Letter. **
** You can get your Practice Permit, Registration & Understanding Agreement (RUA) Letter, and Specialty Letter by contacting the College of Physician and Surgeons of Alberta at: http://www.cpsa.ca/about/contact -us/ | Phone: 780-423-4764
This process can take up to 90 days.
Waiting for your Prac ID?
- Call Alberta Health Toll free 310-0000 then 780-422-1522
- Have your CPSA number handy
- Your Prac ID should be available approximately 5 business days after submission
- If you are in the ARP please state that you are in the ARP when requesting your Prac ID
If you would like to register your professional corporation, please do the following:
- Select 'also register Professional Corporation' on the Practitioner Information Form referenced above
- Include a void cheque from the corporation
- Include Form F from CPSA (you will need to register your Professional Corporation with CPSA to obtain Form F)
- Include Certificate of Incorporation
- Complete Alberta Health Form 0911
- If you are joining the AARP please include the AARP Letter of Participation with corporation signature
Recruitment Visit and Relocation Expenses can be offered to full time active members. Physicians under the Locum Tenens category are not eligible.
Any and all expenses being claimed for reimbursement require the approval of the Calgary Zone Medical Director, if you need clarity on whether an expense will be reimbursed, contact Chris Jappert at 403-944-4910 or by email at email@example.com
Recruitment Visit Expenses
Submit your expenses to Chris no later than 30 days after your visit to Calgary. Expenses received after that length of time cannot be reimbursed. Please see instructions for reimbursement, here.
Submit your expenses to Chris no later than 60 days after your start date. Expenses received after that length of time cannot be reimbursed. Please see instructions for reimbursement, here.
Upon completion of the above items, click here to finalize your recruitment.
Physician Recruitment Coordinator
Department of Medicine
Foothills Medical Centre
1403-29 St. NW